Mural in Palacio de Gobierno, Guadalajara photo
Palacio del Gobierno is Guadalajara’s government palace. Built from 1883 to 1892, the palace was built using two architectural styles known as Tuscan (main floor) and Dorian (upper floor).
From February 14 to March 20, 1858, the building was the official seat of the Mexican federal government, when President Benito Juarez and his cabinet resided in Guadalajara during the Reform War.
But what the Palace is known for is the gigantic murals by the famed muralist Jose Clemente Orozco.
The mural above the main staircase of Miguel Hidalgo, the father of Mexican Independence was painted in 1937. This mural shows Hidalgo brandishing a fiery torch at shadowy figures representing oppression and slavery.
To see a larger image or to see purchase options click on the image